Sunday, July 25, 2010

Catching You Up: A snapshot







In 2003 I was, "set up", by my friend Olivia on a sort-of date. Apparently a boy we went to high school with, (Dan Shriner) was home from serving our country as a Gunner in the Marine Corps during Operation Iraqi Freedom, and he was interested in me. His story plays out as only a true romantic could, including thoughts of me while in the desert, and phone calls to a friend at home asking about me, all without my knowledge. It was October 11th, and I will never forget it. Olivia, Dan, and I went to Hella's in Severna Park. We drank and laughed and talked for hours. In the bathroom, I told Olivia that Dan was amazing, and that I think she should break up with her then boyfriend and go for him. She laughed the heart-warming laugh, only Olivia can do, and told me he was interested in ME! Dan and I watched the sun come up together that night. It scared me how much I felt for him in an 18 hour time span, so I avoided phone calls from him and hid out at my sister's, running away from the hurt I just knew he would inflict on my heart. I was wrong, so wrong. Persistent Dan finally convinced me to go to lunch with him, where he told me to stop running and let him in. I remember going to the bathroom at Chevy's and standing in the stall, heart pounding, ears throbbing, knowing this man was the one.



Within 9 months we were living together and making the best memories of our lives. We adopted our first "son" Gunner (a black and white adorable mutt from the 'dirty south') and settled into our relationship. As all relationships go, ours had ups and downs. There was a time when we didn't think it would work, and in "Ross and Rachael" fashion, "took a break". The break didn't' last long, when Dan and I saw each other one day on a Baltimore Sports and Social Club football field. We were on opposing teams, but never took our eyes off one another. That month also happened to be October, and we never separated again.



Dan and I purchased a home in 2006, adopted our second (and very "special" brown and white bully breed) son Marlo, and pledged our love and lives together in front of family and friends, in a fairy tale wedding, June 7, 2008. I remember being so proud to stand there holding the hand of the most handsome man in the world, and we were in love, seconds away from marriage! It was 110 degrees, however I had chills of joy and excitement. We promised to love and cherish, have and hold, til death do us part....how could we ever know?



Death did part us on December 31, 2009. Dan was running on the treadmill at the gym, and suffered a cardiac arrhythmia. Just like that, my world became 2 parts. The before Dan's death, and the after. I now live my life back and forth, and in between these two worlds. I dream and reminisce about the before, and I dredge through the now, the "after". This is My Life Now...The winding road of the young widow. Thanks for coming along.

3 comments:

  1. Tiffin, It is really brave of you to share your story so openly. Hopefully it will prove therapeutic for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to journal your experiences for your posterity. Thanks for allowing us to be there for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffin, I applaud your courage and determination through this seemly never-ending ordeal. I also appreciate you sharing your life and your progress through recovery. It seems we all lose loved ones too early in life (as if there is ever a good time to lose someone), and it helps to see others power through. You inspire me and have helped me deal with my own losses, both recent and past, I swore I would never be able to recover from. Although I never had the privelege of meeting Dan, I think of you two often and hope you are doing well. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete