Monday, August 23, 2010

This School Year


Today was Day 1 of the 180 day 2010-2011 school year. Piney Orchard was bustling with students, parents, and teachers all day. It was hard for me to walk out of the house this morning, with no hug, no kiss, and no wish for the best crop of kids from Dan. (It was also really hard getting my dress zipped on my own, and forget about the bracelet I wanted to wear!) My loving friends and family knew today would be hard and I was inundated with calls, texts, and even the most beautiful bouquet of daisies from Heidi and Billy. I also had sweet hugs from parents past and present and a goody bag from a prior student with Jujyfruits!! All of this made for a very successful and tearless first day. As I prepare for bed and think about this upcoming year, I pray. Here is my prayer:


Lord,


Give me the strength and courage to wake tomorrow morning and every morning after with a bright outlook on the day. Please allow me to be the teacher, nurturer, and the guide these students deserve. I fear, Lord, that my sad heart will prohibit me from being who I once was; full of happiness, enthusiasm, excitement, patience, and smiles. Lift the sadness from my heart so I can fill it with the joy and wonderment of 30 young minds. They deserve my entire heart, a happy one. Allow me to focus on the importance of my job, my calling, given to me by You. If my mind should wonder towards shadows and doubt, be the strong voice that lures me back. Give me signs throughout the year so that I may see progress, in the students and myself. Let Dan's smile shine down through the clouds so I can project that beautiful smile from the very core of my soul. Give me the tools I need to believe in love and thankfulness again, so that I may teach these virtues. Grant these young children a long innocence before the weight of this broken world weighs heavy on their shoulders. Prohibit any evil from breaking their strong spirits. Allow me to be a positive in their day, a positive influence in their lives, and house of knowledge and morals. Let me be the friend that my colleagues, parents, and friends of Piney Orchard were to me in my darkest hour. Let no person know first hand the depth of this pain, and the loneliness of this place. I ask for patience, compassion, and the voice to reach every mind.

Hear my prayer, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Tiff. You are now and always will be in my prayers. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen again & again and as many times as you need it...

    ReplyDelete